Saturday, May 4, 2013

Hobbies, Part 3

In previous posts I talked about my love of drawing and writing.

This time, the topic is reading.

Since I learned to read I've loved it. Reading a good book was the equivalent of playing a really fun game with my sister. I can still remember old copies of picture books that I had read to me quite often. Several of them are still with us, kept in the family room with other books. A few of my favorites I've abducted and keep in my room.

Whenever someone would say that they hated reading, I could never understand why they hated something that was so enjoyable for me. I understand it more now, but it still baffles me. I've always had an easy time reading words, aloud or in my head. As I grew older, I would notice in school that other kids had a difficult time reading words that were so obvious and easy for me; back then it was only irritating (and sometimes still is), especially when other people would read aloud, but as I got older I recognized that reading wasn't super easy for some other people. I still struggle with being patient when people I know struggle reading aloud, it's something that will always bother me, but I know it's not something people really think about (and therefore want to fix), so I never say anything rude about it.

Since I've read so many books throughout my life, I can't post a complete list of favorites, but I will post a short list that iterates some of them.

Childhood Favorites & Children's Books I've Discovered Recently
The Girl Who Loved Wild Horses by Paul Goble
The Mud Pony by Caron Lee Cohen
The Rough-Face Girl by Rafe Martin
Tonweya and the Eagles by Rosebud Yellow Robe
The Quest for Eloshidii
Goodnight Moon by Margaret Wise Brown
Henrietta and the Hat by Mabel Watts
Green Eggs and Ham by Dr. Seuss
Alexander and the Terrible, Horrible, No Good, Very Bad Day by Judith Viorst
Love You Forever by Robert N. Munsch
The Very Hungry Caterpillar by Eric Carle
Are You My Mother? by P. D. Eastman
The Lorax by Dr. Seuss
The Giving Tree by Shel Silverstein
Chicka Chicka Boom Boom by Bill Martin, Jr.
The Pigeon Finds a Hot Dog! by Mo Willems

Bluebird by Bob Staake
The Curious Garden by Peter Brown
Mossy by Jan Brett
Exclamation Mark by Amy Rouse Rosenthal and Tom Lichtenheld

Middle Grade Books
The Guardians of Ga'Hoole series by Kathryn Lasky
On the Run series by Gordon Korman
Kidnapped series by Gordon Korman
Amulet series by Kazu Kibuishi
Pony Pals series
Avalon: Web of Magic series by Rachel Roberts
Hoot by Carl Hiaasen
Flush by Carl Hiaasen
Scat by Carl Hiaasen
Chomp by Carl Hiaasen
Double Identity by Margaret Peterson Haddix
Smile by Raina Telgemeier
The Chronicles of Narnia by C. S. Lewis
Tuesdays at the Castle by Jessica Day George
The Flame of Olympus by Kate O'Hearn
Wild Wings by Gill Lewis
Secondhand Charm by Julie Berry

YA Books
Dragon Slippers series by Jessica Day George (one of my favorite authors)
The Healing Wars trilogy by Janice Hardy
The Golden Compass by Philip Pullman
To Kill a Mockingbird by Harper Lee
Harry Potter by J. K. Rowling
Percy Jackson and the Olympians by Rick Riordan
Dragon's Milk by Susan Fletcher
The Hunger Games by Suzanne Collins
From Far Away (manga series) by Kyoko Hikawa
Princess Academy by Shannon Hale
Goose Girl by Shannon Hale
Bad Girls Don't Die by Katie Alender
Virals series by Kathy Reichs
Vampirates series by Justin Somper
Flecks of Gold by Alicia Buck
Ice by Sarah Beth Durst
The Moon Riders by Theresa Tomlinson
Sun and Moon, Ice and Snow by Jessica Day George
Raising Dragons by Bryan Davis
Marty and Grace series by Roland Smith
Peak by Roland Smith
First Light by Rebecca Stead
The Last Dog on Earth by Daniel Ehrenhaft
Takeoffs and Landings by Margaret Peterson Haddix
War Horse by Michael Morpurgo
Ancient, Strange, and Lovely by Susan Fletcher
Sketchy Behavior by Erynn Mangum
Entwined by Heather Dixon
Blackbringer by Laini Taylor
Icefall by Matthew J. Kirby
Above World series by Jenn Reese
Five Flavors of Dumb by Antony John
Give a Boy a Gun by Todd Strasser
The Compound by S. A. Bodeen
Princess of the Midnight Ball by Jessica Day George
Princess of Glass by Jessica Day George
Princess of the Silver Woods by Jessica Day George

Non-fiction
The Last Child in the Woods: Saving Our Children from Nature-Deficit Disorder by Richard Louv
The Pluto Files: The Rise and Fall of America's Favorite Planet by Neil deGrasse Tyson
The Man Who Listens to Horses by Monty Roberts
Penguin Life: Surviving With Style in the South Atlantic by Andy Rouse
The Little Princes: One Man's Promise to Bring Back the Lost Children of Nepal by Conor Grennan
Falling for Eli: How I Lost Heart, Then Gained Hope Through the Love of a Singular Horse by Nancy Shulins
Death from the Skies!: These Are The Ways The World Will End by Phil Plait
Bad Astronomy by Phil Plait

Classics
The Secret Garden by Frances Hodgson Burnett
A Little Princess by Frances Hodgson Burnett
Black Beauty by Anna Sewell
Little Women by Louisa May Alcott
Jane Eyre by Charlotte Brönte
Pride and Prejudice by Jane Austen

So, yeah, this post is really long, kind of boring, but check out at least a couple of the lists. You might find a new favorite book.

No comments:

Post a Comment